Wednesday, May 17, 2006

Approval Ratings

I prize Michael Barone's writing because he applies historical context to current events like few other commentators. One of his latest pieces addresses the President's low approval ratings. He concludes that the transformational leaders like Reagan, Thatcher and Bush often receive low approval ratings in their time, whereas cushy leaders like Clinton and early Blair are easier for the public to accept. I like how he ends the piece:

Even so, we continue to live in the world of Margaret Thatcher and Ronald Reagan, as we once lived in the world of Franklin D. Roosevelt.

That is the real measure of a leader, and I think that Bush, despite his troubles, will be shown to be like them.

2 Comments:

At 2:05 PM, Blogger Jred said...

Hey, totally off the topic, but just wondering if you've heard about Andy Garcia's movie "The Lost City." It about Cuba, before Castro rose to power.

 
At 7:32 AM, Blogger Jlowryjr said...

I have. It looks interesting, though heavy on the sex. Really all I know is what I saw on the trailer, but it jives with what I know about Batista-era Cuba.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home