Friday, November 19, 2004

AHRNOLD!! For President???


The Governator Posted by Hello

So I've tried to ignore the few supporters of the Governator who are talking about a constitutional amendment that would allow immigrants to run for president. However, after hearing that Madeline Albright also supports the idea, I thought it might be worth a discussion.

I actually am not in favor of the idea. The main reason, is that I don't think it is worth the effort to actually amend the constitution. I do recognize that there are probably many immigrants who would make great presidents, but that doesn't necessarilly mean that we should amend the constitution to allow them to run.

I think that the more you tamper with it and amend it, the more it becomes less sacred in a sense. I know, I know "it is a living breathing document" but that doesn't mean we should amend it everytime it fits our political fancy. Truly, there must be a hugely compelling interest at stake that would require an amendment before I would support the idea. In this case, I don't think allowing immigrants to run for president is one of those situations.

1 Comments:

At 3:04 PM, Blogger Bear said...

I don't have to much of an opinion on this, but Safire has an interesting article about this on NYTimes. Check it out.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home