Friday, January 06, 2006

Some wounds heal slowly

I like to visit Apple's movie trailer website. I usually check it every week or so to see what new movies are on the horizon. A few moments ago I watched one for a movie called Flight 93. I had no idea what it was about, but immediately noticed that one of the first lines, said by an unseen speaker as we watch a radar screen, mentioned "United Airlines." Immediately I thought, "Movies never mention real airlines- they always make up fake ones. Then I remember Flight 93, one of the four planes crashed on 9/11.

I felt a chill as I watched and listened to the trailer. I felt like I wasn't ready for it. Like it was too soon and the wounds of 9/11 are still too fresh. I lost no family or friends that day. I was in Utah, far away from this incidents, but I think we were all wounded by it.

Movies have been made of tragedies before. Titanic immediately springs to mind. But often those movies are about accidents. Perhaps the follies of man influenced those events, but 9/11 was an act of cold and calculated malice, and that day there was no happy ending. There were heroes, but part of me doesn't want to see that on screen. If I had to make a decision about whether to see it today, I don't think I would. I just don't think I'm ready.

I would be fascinated to know what others think about this.

1 Comments:

At 8:23 PM, Blogger Jordan J said...

On Sept 11 of this past year I watched a documentary on Flight 93 on the Discovery channel (or was it A&E?). I thought it would be "too soon" myself or that it would be too corny to really honor the passengers of that plane. But I was wrong. It was incredible. The version I saw was a portrayal of the events re-enacted and it was fantastic. I was blown away by the courage of the passengers and the mixed emotions they must have felt as they were calling their families, learning about the other attacks, and realizing their not-too-distant destinies. I didn't cry, but i came pretty close. I can't speak for this new feature film coming out, but if it is anything like the documentary I saw, it should be worth watching.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home