Monday, September 18, 2006

Pondering "The Path"

As a follow-up to the furor over ABC's miniseries, The Path to 9/11, I wanted to point out some good commentary, as well as provide my own impression of the film.

The writer of the screenplay has an op-ed in today's WSJ (Opinion Journal page). He does a good job of relating the compromises that have to be made when making a film, especially on such an expansive theme. He also successfully addresses the shortfalls in both administrations on the terror issue.

What is key about The Path was how it made me feel. It took me about a week to watch the whole thing, and although there were some slow parts, I would say that it was generally captivating. The final 30 minutes are quite moving, and it was impossible to contain the mized emotions of sadness and anger. My anger today is different than the anger I felt 5 years ago, and its because of the way that the Left has handled the politics of the War on Terror. I plan to buy the film. It doesn't matter if it is 100% true to life. It tells the story that needs to be told and leaves the viewer with a clear idea of where our enemies stand.

2 Comments:

At 12:03 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Really, the truth doesn't matter? This was supposed to be based on a true story, I thought.

 
At 8:42 AM, Blogger Jlowryjr said...

What I meant was that you can't tell a story on film without making some artistic choices. If they had to create composite characters and compress events/time then so be it.

What is important is that we were handling things the wrong way before 9/11, and we can't start down that path again.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home