Tuesday, January 23, 2007

State of Disunion

I was listening to the radio today and they highlighted this column from Boston Herald Editor Jules Crittenden. An excerpt of his proposed State of the Union:

So what is the best thing I can do tonight? I can tell you the truth. What none of you want to hear. What you’ve been stopping your ears to. The ugly truth. The State of the Union is a disaster. I did my best, but I made mistakes, and my best wasn’t good enough.
We went to war without building up our army, and now, I am trying to make up for that.
But that is not the disaster. The disaster is that you, Congress and the American people, do not care to fight.

Too bad that no one will ever say that. I find all the politeness and ceremony associated with the State of the Union to be tiresome. I think the event is an important one, and the President deserves a forum with as broad an audience as this provides, but it rankles me to know that he will give this speech and many of those who smiled and clapped and shook his hand will look for the fastest way to stab him in the back.

The President is not perfect. He has made some significant mistakes. But he has also been hamstrung by a gutless Congress and an ideological media. The war he is fighting here at home is almost as hard as the one in Iraq.

I may write more on the speech tomorrow. Instapundit would be a great place to find speech reaction and commentaty.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home