Tuesday, January 24, 2006

I don't like Joel Stein...

...but I am glad that he is honest. As he says in yesterday's L.A. Times:

I don't support our troops...I'm not for the war. And being against the war and saying you support the troops is one of the wussiest positions the pacifists have ever taken — and they're wussy by definition.

Like I said, I'm glad that he is honest about it- however, forthrightness doesn't mean you are right. Stein makes a few particularly bad arguments:
  • Speculating that members of the Armed Services are ignoring their morality by serving in the war.
  • Mentioning the body armor issue, which servicemen and women have clearly explained is not as clear as the war's critics claim.
  • That members of the service were tricked into serving in the Iraq War. Has he ever met a member of the Armed Services?
  • Citing Kosovo as a "good" war and Iraq as an example of American imperialism. Should we compare the outcome of Kosovo to the emerging developments in Iraq?

His piece is glib and meant to be funny, but in reality he exposes himself as a straightforward but ignorant Lefty.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home