Thursday, November 16, 2006

Iraq Study Group

When I read this post by Michael Barone I felt like it was a breath of fresh air. For the last week all we have heard is how the Iraq Study Group is going to recommend that we pull out of Iraq. We've also heard how the appointment of Robert Gates as Defense Secretary signals Bush's likely acceptance of that recommendation, as he is a member of the Study Group.

I hope that all that talk is wrong. Barone draws an analogy to the Vietnam Era, when Johnson appointed a successor to McNamara that was widely expected to be more hawkish about the prosecution of the war. He was not and the rest is history. Barone surmises that the reverse may be the case this time around.

I think President Bush is a good man. I think he has been sincere when he expressed his intention to continue in Iraq until the job is done. I don't believe that he will turn his back on what he has said. I think Barone is right.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home