Friday, October 28, 2005

SCOTUS

Well...I've been busy for a few weeks, and apparently J-red has too. In the past we've sort of covered for each other (ok, mostly he covered for me) but we really have missed a lot of big news. So I think I'll post a bit of my thoughts on a few of the bigger stories of the week.

SCOTUS
I don't know much about law (or judges) but I know what I like. I hadn't heard anything about Judge Roberts before his nomination, but the more I learned about him, the more impressed I got. He was an amazing pick... Then came Harriet Miers. Similar to Roberts, I hadn't heard of her before her nomination. The more I learned about her, the more I had to aggree with the Glenn Reynolds. Miers is (was) underwhelming as a nominee. So I vacilated between hoping she'd fail in confirmation and wishing she'd just go away. Reading a few of the right-wing blogs, it was amazing how well some analysts anticipated what would happen.

Some links:
What was wrong with the nomination...
http://www.opinionjournal.com/editorial/feature.html?id=110007424

How the President goofed...
http://www.opinionjournal.com/diary/?id=110007448
http://www.opinionjournal.com/columnists/bminiter/?id=110007388

Why the President goofed...
http://www.opinionjournal.com/editorial/feature.html?id=110007445
http://www.opinionjournal.com/diary/?id=110007398

Who the president should nominate....
I've heard a bunch of suggestions for the SCOTUS spot, pretty much the same ones that were being suggested before Miers. John Fund of the WSJ points out Chris Cox, a former congressman and current chairman of the Securities and Exchange Commission, as a possible nominee. I just don't see it though. In the current state of the administration, I don't think the president has the political guts to name a non-minority to the court. After touting Miers sex by her pre-withdrawl defenders, not nominating a female, or at least a minority, would cause an uproar from the left. They'd almost canonize the martyred Miers, and whine about how she would have been good enough.
Now for a really strong minority nomination, I'd aggree with IMAO that we need this guy.

1 Comments:

At 9:47 PM, Blogger bloggrez said...

Why Microsoft Is Talking To Time Warner About AOL
Why Microsoft Is Talking To Time Warner About AOL : During the q-and-a part of Microsoft's FY1Q06 earnings call with analysts, CFO Chris Liddell was pressed to explain why MSN lags behind Yahoo and Google -- ...
Just like so many Americans my friend loves the clubs and club music lyrics so he went ahead and built an awesome website about club music lyrics. When he's in high spirit he goes to the site and start reciting all his favorite club music lyrics. Says it's good for the heart. Guess what? I gave it a shot and it works great!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home