Tuesday, July 18, 2006

Taking the Gloves Off

I've started and stopped this post several times over the past several days, never finding the time to finish it. I'm blogging from O'Hare International in Chicago (business trip) and finally have a moment to get my opinion out.

Its not new or ground-breaking. From conversations I've had with other people, I know its definitely not unique, but it is what I feel.

Israel has the right to defend itself. If we had rogue elements in Canada lobbing missiles into Detroit or Buffalo or Seattle, and Canada failed to curb that, we would be justified in using force to detain or kill those that are guilty. Israel has made siginificant concessions over the past several years. They own the high road, and I think they are completely justified. They have chosen their targets carefully, and I hope they endure and finish the job. That's all.

And as for the President's use of a swear word in conversation about Syria and Hezbollah- so what? I choose not to swear, but something about the president's word choice resonates with me. I know he is a regular guy, in the sense that his visceral reaction to the practice of terrorism is to equate it with excrement. It is apt, if indelicate, and the fixation of the media on it is a ridiculous waste of time.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home